Studios Inc is now accepting applications for the position of Executive Director. Do you want to be a part of the premier, art based, non-profit organization of Kansas City? Does art based outreach into the community excite you? Do you believe in the overall development of Kansas City art culture? If so, shoot us a cover letter and resume! We’re all ears!Executive Director Position Description: The Executive Director (ED) is the key management leader of Studios Inc (SI) which includes studios.gallery. The ED is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, gallery exhibitions and sales, facility management and maintenance, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Chairman of the Board and the Board of Directors. The position allows flexibility so applicants should be self starters in setting appropriate hours to accomplish the role of ED. (Occasional evening and weekend hours are required.) Visit http://thestudiosinc.org to learn more.
Board Governance: Works with the Board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading SI in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing all information necessary for the Board to properly function and to make informed decisions in a timely and accurate
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of SI including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and financial statements as needed, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the
- Responsible for fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial
- Responsible for anticipating facility’s maintenance/management needs and developing proper reserves to ensure the sustainability of
- Responsible for fundraising and revenue generation (via grants, donors, patrons, rental income, art sales) as well as developing other resources necessary to support SI’s
- Manages cash flow, reimbursements, fund requests, and expense allocations.
- Overall responsibility for data entry into accounting system and integrity of accounting system
- Responsible (along with SI’s accountant) for tax matters and completion of 990 Tax
- Procurement and review of Board and facility insurance
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with the Board to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community engagement.
- Responsible for implementation of SI’s programs that carry out the organization’s
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that SI successfully fulfills its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of SI’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with local and national art organizations and other professional, civic, and private organizations.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure successful operation of the organization.
- Responsible for effective administration of SI’s
- Responsible for the hiring, management, and retention of competent, qualified staff including job descriptions, performance goals, and salary
- Management of the Artists in Residence Program, gallery Director, staff, and
Facility Operations: Responsible for preserving the good condition of the building and infrastructure, ensuring that facilities are safe and well functioning, and optimizing the use of space and equipment while reducing operating costs.
- Manage the upkeep of equipment and supplies to meet safety
- Inspect and properly care for building’s structure and grounds on an ongoing basis to determine short and long-term needs for repairs, renovations, improvements, and
- Review utilities consumption and strive to minimize
- Hire and supervise all facilities staff and external contractors such as janitorial and maintenance staffs, technicians, groundskeepers,
- Manage activities such as parking space allocation, waste disposal, building security, etc.
- Create a suitable environment for the purpose and needs of the
- Compare costs for various services and goods before choosing the best options for the facility.
- Manage the maintenance of the building by performing repairs or contracting maintenance services as
- Perform administrative tasks such as preparing and maintaining facility reports and
- Ensure the security of the building and respond to emergency situations or other urgent issues involving the
- Establish administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of
- Serve as SI’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance SI’s
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising, and to increase the overall visibility of
- Supervise and collaborate with organization staff, interns, and volunteers. (SI has 3-4 interns per semester who assist with various tasks of the organization. It will be up to the ED as to the number of interns or if the program should be scaled back or phased )
- Strategic planning and
- Oversee and prepare for organization’s Board
- Oversee marketing and other communications
- Review and approve contracts for
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Strong knowledge of contemporary
- Transparent and high integrity
- Knowledge of donor relations, grant writing, and fundraising strategies unique to the nonprofit
- Strong presence in the arts
- Strong business acumen including solid, hands-on budget management skills such as budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task
- Ability to convey a vision of SI’s strategic future to staff, Board, volunteers, and
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate Board Members and other volunteers.
- Engaging public speaking ability and strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor
- Demonstrated ability to oversee, motivate, and collaborate with artists and
- Familiarity with building maintenance and
- Nonprofit experience highly
So, if you believe you have the skill set and are excited about the possibility of being the leader of a dynamic not-for-profit arts organization, we want to hear from you. The compensation for this position starts at $48,000 annually paid monthly as an employee of Studios Inc. We will also consider Independent Contractors at $50,000 annually if circumstances align with the organization’s mission and requirements. Neither employment option includes healthcare benefits.We’re interested in filling this position quickly to allow a new ED adequate time to work alongside our current ED, Board, staff, and interns to enable a smooth transition by year end if feasible. Please send all inquiries, qualifications, and resume’ to email@example.com